About American Esoteric Laboratories
American Esoteric Laboratories (AEL) is a regional provider of esoteric and clinical laboratory services, focused to provide the unique turnaround time and quality demands for testing services for health care providers. Our laboratory offers an extended test menu of both routine and esoteric testing. AEL uses advanced information technology solutions to automate and streamline electronic assay ordering and result reporting for its customers.
AEL testing locations in Tennessee include the core laboratory in Memphis and AEL East in Knoxville. Additional AEL laboratories are located in Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, and Arkansas. AEL also operates convenient patient service centers throughout Alabama, Arkansas, the Florida panhandle, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Tennessee.
AEL is the MidSouth Division of Sonic Healthcare USA and is accredited by the College of American Pathologists, CLIA-approved and licensed by the State of Tennessee.
AEL, formerly Memphis Pathology Laboratory, began more than 60 years ago as a small pathology owned laboratory. Baptist Memorial Hospital bought the lab in 1986 and delivered personalized high quality service for several years. In 1998, Baptist formed a joint venture with MDS, the largest laboratory network in Canada, to bring in an experienced management team and expand MPL. The original partnership was formed to establish MPL as an independent laboratory serving the Mid-South, joining MPL's testing expertise and outstanding service with MDS leadership in marketing, automation, information technology and communication. In. 2003, Methodist Healthcare in Memphis joined the partnership when its subsidiary Med Lab was folded into MPL. Med Lab brought clinical skill, expert staff and a significant customer base into the MPL operation. The expanded partnership brought fast, accurate results to physicians, hospitals, long term care facilities and businesses throughout the MidSouth. MPL was purchased by American Esoteric Laboratories in 2005 and became part of a new laboratory network headquartered in Nashville, TN.
In 2007, AEL was acquired by Sonic Healthcare. Sonic Healthcare, based in Australia, is one of the world's largest medical diagnostics companies, providing laboratory and radiology services to medical practitioners, hospitals, community health services, and their collective patients.
The Main AEL full service core lab is located in Memphis, Tennessee. AEL provides comprehensive laboratory services in Alabama, Arkansas, the Florida panhandle, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee. AEL is the largest independent regional clinical laboratory in the MidSouth.
What We Offer
- General and esoteric biochemistry
- Physiology and metabolic processes of the human body, including enzyme, protein, tumor markers and hormone measurement
- Pain Management Compliance
- Screening and confirmation of drugs-of-abuse
- Prenatal screening
- Diagnostic testing – inherited disorders
- Oncology testing – leukemia/lymphoma, solid tumors
- Pharmacogenetic testing
- Reproductive testing – NIPT and prenatal testing
- Isolation, identification and susceptibility testing of bacterial pathogens
- IMatrix Assisted Laser - Desorption Ionization - Time of Flight (MALDI-TOF) Speciation
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Flow cytometry
- Interpretative peripheral blood and bone marrow morphology
- Investigation of hemoglobinopathy/thalassemia
- Allergy testing
- Autoimmune serology
- Celiac disease
- Infectious diseases serology
- Detection of bacterial, viral and protozoan pathogens by nucleic acid amplification techniques
- Cervical cancer screening- ThinPrep, ThinPrep Imaged, SurePath, SurePath Focal Point
- Integrating HPV testing and liquid-based cytology
- Non-gynecological cytology
- Body fluid cytology (pleural, peritoneal, synovial, CSF)
- Fine needle aspiration biopsies (FNAB)
- Respiratory cytology (bronchial brushings, bronchial lavage, sputum)
- Thyroid Cytopathology
- Urine cytology
A full range of specialized diagnostic services:
- Breast pathology
- Gastrointestinal tract pathology
- Gynecological pathology
- Lymph node pathology
- Soft tissue pathology
- ENT Pathology
- Ophthalmic Pathology
- Renal Pathology
- Fast, accurate results.
- Friendly, helpful service
- Exceed customer expectations
AEL has professional, well-trained couriers who make things easy by offering you specimen pick-up and supply delivery designed around the needs of your practice. AEL further utilizes state-of-the-art information systems to schedule and track courier pick-up and delivery.